Skip to main content

Back in Blighty

I have had a very unquilty week. And as I said in my very quick post on Thursday, I am getting withdrawal symptoms. I spent last weekend with my Mum and Dad. I took the train down on Wednesday after work and Mum and I spent Thursday and Friday baking cakes for the cake stall at the church fete: 48 jumbo cookies, 6 gingerbreads, 8 fruit cakes, 6 lemon drizzle cakes, a slab of chocolate sponge, 4 chcolocate sponges, 4 coffee sponges, 6 coffee and walnut sponges, 2 batches of chcolate brownie, 2 batches of chcolate orange brownies, 4 batches of Shortbread, 100 scones (half fruit and half cheese). In the end we bakes about half of the cake stall and the stall made more money this year than any other year, as did the fete as a whole, so it was all worth it! Needless to say, I didn't have much time to get any stitching in! I did manage to print off the paper piecing patterns for the Farmer's Wife Quilt, but that was all. I also spent a long time talking to my Aunt and Granny who both do embroidery. Aunty Catherine has been doing some white work, so I've pinched the patterns, and I think there is some potential there... but perhaps not in white!





I got back home on Sunday night and spent a few hours desperately searching for my passport.... I was due to flew to Germany for work very early on Monday morning. I finally found my passport, then checked my emails to find that my card had been declined and I had no flights. An hour on the phone and I had flights and had ordered an emergency card.... This was a good start to the week.



The one advantage of the new flights, was that it was a lunchtime departure, much to managers disgust - she was still on the early flight! I got the flight from Newcastle to Charles de Gaulle wihtout issue. Except that once we had finally taxied to the gate I knew that there was no way I would be able to catch the next flight - there just wasn't enough time. For the first time ever I was relieved to see that the second flight had been cancelled!!!! I was booked on to a later flight and finally got to Frankfurt only two hours later than we had originally planned.



I took some embroidery to Germany with me, but had no time to do any. I contented myself with the odd look at the Flickr quilt a long and the Vignette blog. My replacement card finally arrived on Thursday, so luckily I was able to pay for my hotel! But it didn't end there....



I left the office at 3.30 on Friday to get back home. Got the taxi to the airport where I tried to pay with card (I had no cash). The taxi drivers card machine was broken. So we sat there until his colleague arrived and he took my payment. Not a good start.... Got to check in and instead of doing the DIY check in I was sent to the counter - never a good start. My flight from Frankkfurt to Charles de Gaulle was fine, but the flight on to Newcastle had been overbooked, and I didn't have a seat.... so I was eventually rebooked on flights via Amsterdam. I got home an hour later than intended, but at least my suitcase arrived with me (one better than the last time I travelled to Germany). I don't think I want to travel by air anymore.....



So today I plan to do some catch up on my quilting and finally make a start to the Farmer's Wife Quilt. All I need now if my Husband to clear his models and paints off of my quiting table - you go away for a week and he takes over.......


Oh yes - and apologies to those who havent' got their July Calendar Girlies yet - I've been a bit busy..... They'll go in the post on Monday :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive