Skip to main content

A Swoony Weekend






After the success of Friday Night Sew In I have had a good weekend. Yesterday I helped out Linda and Aunty Barbara with their jelly roll sampler quits and made a block for each of them using their fabrics: Here are the scraps from Aunty Barbara that I stitched together - sunglasses please! The finished "block" is 4" and I have no idea what I'll do with it, but it's better than throwing the scraps away!

Yesterday evening I completed another 15 Chevron blocks for my Chasing Chevrons quilt. I think I have about 15 more blocks to make - here is last nights results.
Today was all about Swoon. I was lying in bed thinking through a comment I made on the Flickr group - how about a six inch block for my Farmer's Wife Quilt.... I did the maths and here it is. I broke the block down to be 8x8 smaller blocks - each of these is only 3/4" square. The pieces were fiddly, but my seams are pretty good and the end result is fantastic. I'm not sure I will be making many more blocks this size. But I have been thinking that a 6" finished block would be perfect to fit in the centre of a 24" finished block - I could swoon in my swoon. That's for another weekend!Do you remember the fabric I couldn't resist on yesterday's post - the duck egg blue and brown. Well I cut it up today. The plan is four 12" Swoon blocks to make a wall hanging for our bedroom, which is blue and brown. In this version, each of the blocks is 1 1/2" square. I think this is my favourite swoon size, or maybe it was just that every single one of my seams was spot on! Miracle. I also wanted to show you that I can use subtle classy colours as well as my normal bright high contrast selections. The brown is Primitive Muslin by Moda, the blue if Fruitcake from Basic Grey for Moda and the background is Basic Dots by Moda. One of the other fabrics I've bought for this project has stripes.... that's a story for another day too! And then I made a full size 24" block in my Happy Mochi Yum Yum fabrics. I've now done three of the full size blocks. My seams weren't quite so good on this one.
I mainly did the big one so I could take the photo below - Russian doll swoons!In other news my computer is broken. I'm writing this on Michael's desktop and it sounds like it's about to take off! Hopefully we can save all of my photos.... *sad face*

P.S. have you seen the new patterns from Camille Roskelly, designer of Swoon - I love the triangles one!

Comments

Love your blocks and you are clever to do the math. I haven't tried that yet but after seeing your smaller blocks I think I need to ..... unless you are willing to share? cheeky arn't I
aksherry said…
Great Swoon blocks! I can never figure out how to change the sizes like that!!
Melissa said…
I LOVE that Russian Doll Swoon Block, it's so vibrant!!! And I can't wait to see the chevrons all together :)
tink's mom said…
Wow, Great job. I love the little block. The colors are perfect. I'm just starting on my 6th full size swoon block. Gave a fleeting thought to changing the size but wasn't up for the math. After seeing yours I might have to give it a try.

Thanks for sharing. by the way I'm here from FSNI

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more