Skip to main content

Tango Challenge: Nine Pins


Back in January I decided to take part in the Tango Challenge. I decided on a beautifully garish colour combination of orange and pink. The "design process" has been a little haphazard and has changed every ten minutes, right up until I finally attached the binding this morning.

At one point I had decided to do an applique flower with a border made up of 1" squares in all different orange fabrics. It turns out I have a remarkably large collection of oranges in my stash. So I started making nine-patches. I fell in love with nine-patches, so gave up on the idea of applique and borders. I was always going to use black as my neutral colour, so had an idea of orange nine patches and another-colour nine patches in a lap quilt.

But I've really fallen in love with nine-patches and have an idea in my head of a rainbow quilt (not in the rules of the Tango challenge). So I reduced my plans again. I wanted a table topper for the glass table in our living room. Orange and pink? Orange and yellow? Orange and lime green? (Our living room is decorated in blue and yellow!). If it aint gonna match, it may as well not match properly! I went for pink. So pulled all of the pinks out of my stash and cut a 1 1/2" strip off of each. Then I pieced just one nine-patch in pink, picked out eight orange nine patches and a big piece of black. I tried wonky. Nope. I tried straight. Yep. A bit of raw-edge applique with a beautiful variegated Guetermann Sulky thread. At close of play yesterday evening I had finished top. My husband is away for the weekend, so I stuck it up on my "design wall" (lounge wall) with masking tape, went and made a cuppa, came back and.... it was going to be a wall hanging.
This morning I was going to quilt it with the same variegated thread. But didn't want to detract from the simplicity. So went for black quilting, echoing the squares. Binding: orange? black? pink? Simplicity = black. Ta-dah - a finished quilt just 16" square.
I've called this quilt Nine-Pins. Before I moved to the north-east of England, I lived with my parents in Bedfordshire and played in an English ceilidh band (traditional English music is like traditional Irish music, but more stompy). One of the dances we used to do was called nine-pins: four couples formed a circle and a extra person stood in the middle. They were called the nine-pin and would go up to each couple in turn and chose one of them to dance with. The rejected half would go into the centre. Once the nine-pin had danced with half of each couple they joined the four in the centre and circled until at some random point, the music stopped and there was a mad rush as every one in the middle tried to grab a partner, leaving one nine-pin (hopefully a new one) back in the middle to start again. It's the ceilidh version of musical chairs! We normally did it at the end of the evening once some drink had been consumed! My little pink nine-patch is my nine-pin!


Result of this challenge: I LOVE LOVE LOVE orange. I didn't hate it before, but now I love it! Thanks for bearing with my ramblings today!

I'm linking up to Sew Happy Geek's Manic Monday and Sew Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

Comments

Wow, I think I could fall in love with orange after seeing this. It is great.
Cherie said…
That's so cute. I love orange. Really don't have enough of it in my stash =D

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more