Skip to main content

Brrmmm, Brrrrmmmmmm!

The long weekend is nearly over but it has been fantastic! We spent Saturday evening and all day Sunday throwing a 1960s Sprite round the potholes of north Northumberland and the Borders.
The Car in all its muddy glory at the end of the weekend

In the  middle of nowhere - near East Horton in
Northumberland waiting for our turn on a test

The car use to belong to my father-in-law, but when it lost two wheels back in 1981 it was put in the garage and stayed there until four years ago. When my father-in-law, John, was diagnosed with cancer, the car in the garage worried him. We knew pretty early on that his illness wasn't going to have a happy ending, and he didn't want my Mother-in-law to have to worry about the car after he had gone. He happened to mention these concerns while my Dad was around. Dad has always been interested in cars, and has built a kit car (he has his own blog for more photos!). For a nominal sum he bought the car and towed it to the opposite end of the country. For a less nominal sum he doubled the size of his garage and spent two years getting the car back on the road. Last year the car was ready for the Classic weekend, but my brother-in-law very inconsiderately chose the weekend to get married! This year was the year when the car would be back on the road and rallied in anger for the first time in nearly 30 years! It's also worth mentioning at this point that my Dad has never driven in a rally before. We've marshalled at the rally for many years - it was one of the first weekends I spent with my future-in-laws back in 2004 - and I navigated for John in a Cavalier (another interesting story from our family history....) in 2008 .
Unfortunately this was how we spent quite a lot of the weekend in 2008... bonnet up!

The cavalier didn't enjoy rallying so we didn't get round every test! This was a test we ended up marshalling rather than driving!
John marshalling at the Berwick Classic 2008
after the car objected! We marshalled this test  two years ago
when I was learning to drive, and I drove dad's car into a hedge!

Not to be left alone, my Uncle-in-law and his son decided to take part as well. Uncle Gordon use to rally with John 30 years ago, but hadn't rallied since. And Ben wasn't even born. So it was pretty new for them too. And then my husband, Michael, wanted to play along, so bought a 1998 Corsa to throw around the course. He was joined by a university friend. It was quite the family event as Mother-in-law and Aunty-in-law marshalled!
Uncle Gordon, Benji and Aunty Barbara trying to
plot the Sunday route - it was a bit of a team effort!

The countryside in north Northumberland and the borders is fantastic! Beautiful hills and coastline. And the route of the rally tries to avoid busy areas so you travel roads that you would never normally travel. But of course, these are also the roads with the biggest pot holes. I wish I had got a picture of the pot hole with a traffic cone in it! But unfortunately I was busy making sure we didn't get lost - no way were we going to get any comments about female map readers! Over two days we completed 24 tests (throwing the car round a farm yard around cones as fast as possible), 3 regularities (following grid references or clues around the country side at an average speed trying to get as close to the required time by the end as possible - we weren't as good at these) and driving a total of 200 miles! The car had a bit of a hiccup at the final test, but we couldn't have picked a more spectacular  spot to break down - Gin Head at the entry to the Firth of Forth with Tantallon Castle in the background. But we got going again....

Our one break down - if you don't count the point when
Dad turned the fuel pump off accidentally! He'll be moving that switch before next year!

All three of the family teams made it through all tests and got to the finish. None of us came last in class and all of our results were "respectable". For first-timers we did a really good job! Roll on next year!

(Normal service will be resumed shortly - although I spent a while this weekend throwing the car round the countryside, I did fit in some sewing too).

Comments

Lin said…
Glad you found time to sew as well - sounds like a fun weekend.
pennydog said…
Did you FIL ever see the car all restored?

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more