Skip to main content

Finished quilt tops

I'm setting myself up for a lot of quilting in the next few weeks. Yesterday I bought 5 metres of 125" wide batting.... the man at the shop asked if I was making a tent - I'm not sure a tent made of batting would be particularly weatherproof! Some of the quilts are barely even started, but I made good progress this week in making up a few more quilt tops:

The butterfly quilt: I made three butterfly blocks using a pattern from Tartan Kiwi and made up the size of the baby quilt using a fabric I picked up at Harrogate - it's Theodore and Izzy Mountain Meadow by Andrea Turk for Camelot Fabrics. I started off with this fabric and picked the fabrics for the butterflies to match.


Boats Quilt: You've may have seen a few boat blocks that I've made, and over the last week I've been making foundation pieced Maltese Cross blocks. Today I put them all together to make another baby quilt.

I was stretching my fabric with this quilt - mostly through poor forward planning and making it up as I went along. I didn't buy nearly enough of the light blue fabric, but by blind luck discovered that in the stash I inherited from my Gran there was a three metre piece the same colour (as near as dammit); the red is left over from my Joy Jelly Roll disaster - I unexpectedly had enough for the sashing, but not enough to make a Maltese Cross block too, so the red Maltese Cross block is a Kona solid, not the print.

And the white.... I was using the same fabric for my niece and nephew's advent calendars. The boat blocks had taken up far more white than I had expected.... so I eeked out enough for the Maltese Cross blocks - I wanted the white placed like this in the blocks to represent wind turbines.... This meant that I was one strip of the white short to bind both advent calendars. Which is why the advent calendars are partly bound in green.... in the future, I really should plan better!


Batik wall-hanging: I started this at a class in May 2011 and I thought it was about time to get it finished - I've rolled each of the curved edges and appliqued them in place. Now it's another one to baste and quilt.

And another very long term UFO - this is from 2011 too:

It was a mystery block of the month by our LQS. The blocks are nominally 14" finished (some of them are...). They've sat for a while because I made a total cock up on the final block - I marked the cutting lines from the template in biro. I won't do it again. I learned my lesson. But it's a block that at the time was a write off - looking at it today, I can't see any marks any more, but I've realised there also isn' much contrast in these blocks. I'm making a cushion cover for the maternity cushion that now protects Mia from the fireplace (and vice versa). The cushion is 19" x 50" - not an ideal size for 14" blocks so I've hashed this together.


And my mini quilt for the IG Mini Swap is ready for quilting too:


There's a few more quilt tops to finish before the quilting marathon starts!

Comments

Amazing. I want to make the boat quilt!
Lin said…
Yes, very busy! Love the butterflys and the batik and the boat quilt is really super. Happy quilting. xx
pennydog said…
Smaller quilts like minis and baby quilts are fun to do and don't take too long, enjoy!
Anonymous said…
Jenny! I don't know whether to be inspired by you or just give up! You do so much!!! Well done for pulling out those UFOs and finding ways to finish them. I particularly like the colour combination you've used in the boats and the Maltese crosses. Now, I really must go finish something...
Allison

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more